Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Loud Knocking

Yesterday's interviews went GREAT!! I met with the recruiter, and she loved me! Absolutely loved me! And then I had the phone interview with the Corporate Recruiter who is based in Chicago, and things went swimmingly there as well. We discussed things like the work experience I have, where I am currently, do I like it at The Bird, why am looking to leave? All of those normal 'interview' questions. So, I had to confess to her that I wasn't actually actively looking to leave The Bird...I mean, why would I? I have total job security, a great group of friends I work with, and I am still learning! These are all wonderful reasons to stay...except, oh yeah, they didn't make me an Assistant Manager and still expect me to deal with all of the work-load and bull shit that my predecessor dealt with. Honestly, that would be really the only reason for me to even consider.

Well, Maria and I had a wonderful conversation about this available position. It is basically all-encompasing of what I have done in the past and what I am doing now. It's still a 'Coordinator' title, but at this company it's actually a higher level than my current 'Sr Coordinator' title. PLUS, I'll be dealing with all the legal publications and business printings. The position is very much independent. While I'd have a supervisor, she is said to NOT be a micro-manager, leaving me to run things as I would see fit. No, I wouldn't be managing anyone, but I really like the idea of being almost soley responsible for the way things will pan out...the visibility can be a double-edged sword. A) I could do a crappy job, and everyone knows its all on me, or B) I can do a wonderful, phenomenal job, and everyone knows its all on me!

Just recently, a very dear friend of mine left The Bird to go on to real estate. He left his salary and benefits to go to a commission-based job. At first I was very nervous and worried for him, because we all know the real estate market isn't what it used to be, but then I really listened to his reasons for this life-change. He wants to work in a field where his hard work is recognized and compensated for how hard he really will work! He doesn't mind putting in 10-12 hour days just so as long as it is visible and compensated in some way instead of someone just saying, 'well if you had to stay late to get it done, than so be it.'

I have come to realize that there is a lot in this world that is thankless, but there are a few things that we can control to be recognized for our hard work. Like my friend, I have never feared hard work and putting in the hours. Working in the floral business for 7 years has taught me 18 hours days, or even some 36 hour over-nighters. But never once did I regret working those hours because my boss ALWAYS showed his appreciation for the hard work and passion I put into it. I loved it, and he fostered that passion by just simply saying 'thank you' or 'wow, I couldn't have done this without you.'

So, the fact that I could be facing a double-edged sword does not scare me. For those who know, I love a challenge, and often rise to the occassion to meet one face on. To do a little patting of my own back, I have only ever excelled and thrived wherever I have been in the working-world. Most of my life will be spent at my place of employment, so I plan on making the most of it, doing the best job that I damn well can, otherwise, what is the point?

One thing that both the recruiter and Corporate Recruiter pointed out was that even though I had the preferred publishing background (which they were SO enthusiastic about), I don't have that many years in the industry. I'm still a little green, as some would say. I understand that they are not able to discriminate according to age, because I am often younger than some expect, but that doesn't mean they can't use the 'not enough experience' as a reason. So, I simply countered by saying, 'yes, but look how far I have come in such a short amount of time.' I have been at The Bird for fewer years then many in my department, both those that are still there and others that have left, and I have surpassed many in responsibilities and title because I am NOT happy to just do the day-to-day to get by, thinking that someday I'll be promoted soley on my years put in and not my work ethic. Laziness in the work place is all well and good if you're just content to be lazy. But for those that are lazy AND feel that much is owed to them, I do not have patience or understanding for.

So, getting back to it, all in all, I couldn't have asked for a better Friday. And by 5 pm yesterday, I already had my call-back. I'm interviewing with the hiring manager in HR with the NY office on Tuesday, so I'm pretty psyched! I already have my suit picked out and everything. I do admit that the hard part of all of this, though, is the possibility that i will be leaving The Bird, which really means I'll be leaving Ali-girl and Rockstar, two wonderful and beautiful people that have helped me develope the skills and lessons of 'Corporate America' to survive and thrive. I know they will be nothing but supportive and excited to see me do well, but it's still sad to think that I'll be leaving what is familiar and warm.

In the words of one genius out there, "Quit your bitching...Start a revolution!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home