Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Monday, July 10, 2006

Impressions

As Monday's go, today wasn't too bad. There was a lot to do at work, still catching up from last week's short work-week. PLUS, I need to make sure I don't fall behind with my "long lunch" tomorrow since I've got a big meeting on Wednesday.

Today, I had two great phone calls from friends. Unexpected and very much enjoyed. The first was from the Cous' who had a great idea to play hookie one day next week and head for the water park! Since my planned day of hookie didn't pan out with the Boy, I've definitely been itching to take a day of frivolity. I think I forsee myself still recovering from my tattoo come Monday! ;-) And then Beth called and her never-ending love and support always seems to amaze me...not in a bad way, but in the way that it just amazes me that she still has more in her give! I try not to be a burrden of emotion to my friends, but it is always so comforting when that shoulder is so freely given with that intuitive nature. So, thanks so much girls! Love and hugs to you both!

The day ended on a great note, with a baby shower for a coworker. She's due at the end of the month, and I can't believe that she still looks fabulous, with a capital 'F.' It's always a nice end to the day with the Boss-Lady allows us to pretty much do nothing for the last hour! So, here's to great cake and sparkling cider!

Tomorrow is interview #2 with Aspen. I'm so excited and also relieved that's it's such a no-stress situation. I told Ali-girl about Friday's interviews and she was so excited for me, and that was such a relief as well. I haven't told anyone else at work yet, and I may not until if, and when, it comes down to a decision, but there is just something that feels so right about the way this is all playing out. So much so that I've done something for the first time in a long time...I talked to Grandpa.

I'm not a very religious person anymore, but I still consider myself spiritual. My grandfather passed away 11 years ago this October. It was difficult because of the nature of his death, and that we were close. He was an amazing man of many admirable attributes. Among being an amazing father and grandfather, he was an incredible, honest businessman. He was the typical "pull yourself up from the boot-straps" kind of guy, raised by a single mother. He saw the value of a hard day's work, and didn't flinch at the sweat on his brow. He made opportunities happen for himself, and followed through on his word. I went to business school, hoping that one day I can be at least half as good in business as he was. While friends of mine went to school on sports scholarships, following in their idols' path, I went to business school following mine. I truly believe that the souls of loved ones watch over us, like angels. Even though I say this whole interviewing process is stress-free, there are still major considerations that I've been thinking about. Over the weekend, I found myself thinking of Grandpa and his mind for business, and wondering what words of wisdom he would don on me if he were truly only a phone call away. Saturday night I went out with the girls and found myself rightly blasted. 5 hard ciders and 2 consecutive shots later (all in the span of maybe three hours?) I found myself happily sitting in the backseat of the car watching the world spin by. My girlfriends were saying how they felt good, and strong, and I randomly said I felt sad. I think they misunderstood where the emotion was coming from since I've been in a little turmoil lately about the Boy. The sadness was actually coming from thinking about Grandpa lately with all of this. It's been many years, I know, and it isn't as if I haven't come to terms with his death, but it's still never easy, never. And it's times like these when I could really stand to have him pull a quarter out of my ear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home