Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Saga of 'Steve' Continues

Last Friday, while sitting around at work waiting for the clock to tick 5pm, 'Steve' called as he often does when work is slow and he needs to kill some time, too. We were catching up on our week, he wished me a happy belated v-day, I did the same, and he asked me what my 'guy' situation was as of lately. I told him that the situation was nothing. Nobody seemed interested in anything more than just the 'fun' and as much as I enjoy just the 'fun' I am starting to crave real companionship in a substantial relationship.

'Steve' proceeded to apologize for all guys everywhere, trying to make me feel better by saying "all guys are stupid to not scoop you right up!" Trying to keep it light and my spirits up, I reply with the confident "of course they are, I know this." But then he does the unexpected. He apologizes for himself in the event that I group him in with that list of guys that have been just looking for the 'fun.' And then goes on to say that he often wonders what would have happened if we actually tried to date instead of leaving it at what it was all those months ago, and that maybe we really should have risked it all for possibility of something!

At this point, only my loud heart beat and heavy breathing are an indication to him that I'm still on the phone...

I accepted his apology, even though I told him that I wasn't sorry. I asked him if he regretted what had been between us, and he said no...he just felt bad if I were to look at our experience as just another failed attempt at a relationship.

I didn't really know how to take in this whole conversation. It was quite an odd thing to be discussing while waiting for the down elevator, but all in all I think it was an OK conversation to have. He and I have talked since Friday and things are fine between us with no awkwardness, so that's a plus. I just don't know what to take away from this, if anything. On the one hand, it's flattering to hear that I was the one that got away. But on the other hand, is he just talking from that place where he's at of not being 100% happy in his current relationship? *shrug*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home