Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Secrets of Love

I have a secret.

I'm in love.

And I've been in love with 'Steve' since probably the first time I met him close to 8 years ago.

When 'Steve' and I first met, we discovered we had so much in common and became fast friends, thick as thieves, and the friendship has only ever grown and became deeper. There was a time when we did talk about the possibility of dating, but both feared the risk of friendship to ever try. That's not to mean that we never fooled around a little, but it never got too far, both of us afraid of how we would feel about it the next day. But regardless, 'Steve' and I became best of friends, being able to flirt, joke around, and even have the serious talks we couldn't ever have with other friends. We give each other advice on everything from what to wear, who NOT to date, and even on sex. The classic do's and don'ts. We care deeply for one another, as best friends should. And in this past year, we've become closer than we've ever been. I love him, always will, but now I am realizing that I am IN love with him, and always have been.

Now, 'Steve' is dating someone pretty seriously. I have yet to meet her, but he keeps telling me how important it is to him for me to meet her. I feel honored that I am one of his only friends who's opinion of this girl counts. It's also a very terrifying feeling. It's been difficult for me to still give him advice on his relationship, telling him what I feel he should say or not say. I even helped him do his Christmas shopping for her. It's been kind of surreal, feeling what I do feel.

'Steve' and his girlfriend just hit their one-year anniversary. I helped him pick out the diamond bracelet she'll soon to be wearing. And then he asked me to help him with what to say in the card he was going to give her. This is what I came up with:

This past year together has meant more to me than even these words can describe. You've brought a light and a joy into my life that goes beyond expression. You help me realize what it means to truly be a friend and a partner. I am so grateful and thankful for who you are, and who I am with you. Learning what it means to love you has been one of the best life-lessons I could ever learn. I love you, and look forward to telling you that many times over.

He was so moved by my words. He said it was incredible...perfect, even. He then asked me if those words came from somewhere else, or if I made it up myself. I told him that I had thought of it myself, dreading the question I knew was next...he then asked me how I came up with those words.

How do you tell the man you love, that the words you chose for him to say to his girlfriend really comes from what you feel in your heart for him?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home