Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Enough.

When is enough really enough? It's a question that changes with the circumstances, that's for sure.

I have a really close friend that's going through a rough spot with a guy. Really, this isn't hypothetical (for once). She seems to be trapped in this cycle of knowing he's no good for her when she doesn't see him for a while, but then she'll start talking to him and make plans to see him and be all confused again until he does or says something that reminds her that he's no good for her! And to top it all off, she's been through this type of situation before with an ex...haven't we all. There is a reason they are 'exes!'

When she and I first became friends and started getting really close, we'd talk about anything and everything, go for lunches and dinners, see movies and do what friends generally do when they hang out. But for the past two months, every time we hang out, I am a sounding board for all of her troubles and woes about this one guy! In the beginning, I offered her the advice that so many had offered me when I was in this kind of situation. She valued what I had to say and my perspective on things.

But now, two or three months later, I'm still hearing the same story and song. Part of me wonders why she keeps asking what I think when I've been telling her for the past few months...and why does she keep asking if she's not going to take the advice anyway?!

I don't think I would ever be the type of person to "break-up" with a friend, but I miss the actual friendship...the doing stuff, and talking about anything other than a guy whom we both know is treating her like crap. I also don't want to say anything because she obviously feels a close friendship to be able to confide with me. We all need to vent, and I get that. Hell, I have a blog, so I definitely get that! And if I'm the only outlet she has, I can't not be a friend and allow her the outlet she needs.

I'm concerned for her, though, as a friend should be. I'm concerned about herself in this situation and not being able to get herself out of it. I've tried to approach it from many different directions, and still to no avail. Today, I finally told her that she may think she's done with him, but she will definitely know when she's done with him. From my experience, its a similar feeling of 'hitting rock bottom' when you really do just wake up one day and realize, "no, this isn't for me." So, I told her that, and I also mentioned that recent events is just more of the same old, same old, and that she's better than that. I guess she'll only believe that if she believes in herself...which is a horse of a totally different color.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home