Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Monday, February 05, 2007

Dreaded V-Day

OK, so not so much a war reference, but sometimes it sure feels like it!

This morning, while listening to the radio in the shower, I heard the first commercial for Valentine's Day. It was for one of those specialty stuffed-animals or designer pj's or what have you. With over a week to go on this god-forsaken count down, it forces me to realize how much I loathe this holiday. And it's not as if I've never spent this holiday with a bf or loved one, because I have. And even working in the floral industry for seven years, knowing how prosperous this holiday is for mom and pop shops, there is just something about it that irks me.

Why do people need this one day of the year to express their love and devotion?! I never understood this holiday. Even when receiving little valentines from classmates in kindergarten, I couldn't grasp the 'why' of it. Maybe there is no reason or 'why' of it, but I would much rather prefer a bouquet of flowers or some non-plus chocolates on a random day. That to me speaks more of 'special' than doing the same old, same old with every other Joe-Shmo out there.

On that note, I might join Roommie to go see Evil Dead the musical next Wednesday...it seems rather appropriate, in my mind anyway.

1 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Down with V-D Day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home