Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Centering

The rain. It's one of my most favorite things ever. For as long as I can remember, I have always loved the rain. The sound, the smell, the feel of it on my face...everything about it. As I sit at the computer now, listening to the rain outside, I have memories of jumping in puddles as a child to still, to this day, turning my face towards the sky to welcome and greet the drops as they fall from the heavens. It is one of nature's bounties, giving life to the Earth.

Some time ago, I gained an interest in Wicca. At the time, it was probably more of a rebellion to my Catholic School upbringing, but as I read and learned more about it, I came to realize that it is more of a way of life than a faith; faith as we understand and define today. Having a lot of respect and involvement with Native American culture, it isn't all that dissimilar in basic concepts and principles. Now-a-days, I don't really continue my study and reading in Wicca, but I still hold the basics to me dearly. It has become a source of grounding in my life that, at times, I cling to desperately. Nature is a HUGE part, if not all, of the Wicca belief system. Everything that is necessary comes from nature because that is what She has provided for us, therefore we shouldn't/don't need more than what She has provided. Maybe this is why I have always been enamored with all things "outdoorsy." Camping since I was a toddler just always seemed so natural to me, and nothing clears my mind more than a nice walk through the woods.

Whenever I feel myself unsettled, getting restless with the mundane of day-to-day, I always try to center myself by doing something in nature. Now that I live in Queens that is not always so easy to do as it once was living not even one mile from a state park. Nature is very hard for me to get myself back to these days, so I must find other natural ways to bring myself back to center. I have come to rely on the rain to provide me with what I need.

Rain. It is defined, technically, as water condensed from atmospheric vapor and falling in drops. How scientific! To Wiccans, it is defined as Life! Water is the source of life in nature. Without it, the earth, and all those that inhabit, would die. It is a necessity for biology. For me, it is a necessity to just 'be.'

People always look at me funny when I say I love the rain, for I truly do. It is the one thing that I am completely and utterly sure that I love, and have loved all my life. Some simply cannot understand how I can have that emotional attachment to what they consider just an ordinary occurrence. I don't understand how they cannot! Even with my brief stint of the on-line dating scene, I always listed "sitting and listening to the rain" as one of my 'favorite things to do.' So while people hurry from one place to another, trying to get out of the rain, battling with umbrellas, I walk casually, umbrella-free through the rain, welcoming it, soaking in my Life and bringing myself back to center.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home