Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Friday, February 23, 2007

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back.

Getting around in New York City is like a dance. One must absolutely know the steps in order to get to where they need to be without the awkward "bob when I weave" motions. Where does one learn the steps to this intricate dance? Just by doing. I've been a commuter of NYC for over two years now. For the six months, I was commuting from L.I. and now I commute from Queens. One might think I would know the steps to this dance like the back of my hand. Some days I do, and some days I'm not so much on my game. But practice does make perfect, and learning to read the body language of those around you also helps your efforts.

I would say that four out of five days, I excel at the Dance with grace and style. Knowing how to successfully dodge oblivious mothers with strollers, the tourists with their noses in a map or guide book, and even the thoughtless businessman who thinks that wearing a suit gives him the right to shove you aside as you take that first step towards getting on the subway car.

But that one out of five days like today, when I wake up late with a headache, can't find parking at the train station, and realize half-way to work that I'm wearing two different socks, I butcher the dance steps and have a hard time finding my way. The amount of apologies I dished out this morning on a 15 walk and subway ride from Penn Station to my office was a record high. I'm sure my body language this morning was "Warning, Warning! I'm a mess!! Danger! Stay Clear!!"

1 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes i feel like i have two left feet when navigating this great city!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home