Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Friday, June 29, 2007

Oh No, She Di'in't!

This morning I was up and at 'em at the normal time, even though this is one of my free summer Friday's off. My goal this morning was to get up and have my car serviced. While I was waiting on that, I headed over to the diner for breakfast. After killing about two hours there, I then headed back to the mechanic, hoping for an update for at least how long I can expect to be waiting. There were several things I know I needed done, and the rear breaks were one of them, knowing also that was going to take some time. As I waited in the sitting area, my reading was distracted by the television they had on.

The channel was turned to one of those tabloid entertainment shows, and I thus continued to get educated on The Spice Girls' Reunion Tour (presumably because Ginger Spice ran out of money), the top 10 summer celeb diet bodies (Jessica Simpson only coming in at 3), and the whole Larry King/Paris Hilton interview.

Like most people, I am oddly facinated by the celebrity culture. Not that I idolize like some, but just the fact that celebs can get away with so much baffles my mind, as if these people who are often the social and legal offenders are above the rest of us 'normal' folk. Because of this it shouldn't be so surprising that a few things that were mentioned in the interview really struck me dumb...maybe the blonde is wearing off?!

Hilton told King that she never expected to serve actual jail time...that her assumption was to be ordered a copious amounts of community service. I wonder what her idea of community service would have been? Educating the inner-city kids on the fashion of the season? Or perhaps how to multi-task by showing them exactly how to have a telephone conversation while also filming an adult video?!

Next up was when King asked Hilton if she was given a strip search. Her reply was, "Oh yes, all jails give strip searches...it was the most mortifying experience of my life!" Hmmm...so, now that she served 23 days (give or take with the early release...and we'll come back to that) in ONE jail, she is now an expert on all jails everywhere! Interesting. And she was mortified by a strip search? Are you kidding? Doesn't she do that sort of thing for fun? I mean, c'mon...that phrase has the word "strip" in it. I would think she'd feel right at home!

And of course the issue of the early release was brought up. Her defense on why she needed to leave the jail was due to medical issues...mainly claustrophobia. Now, don't get me wrong, I have a very good friend that suffers severly from claustrophobia, and I take it seriously. But how is a person who has only ever lived in mansions and estates know what it's like to be confined? I personally think that perhaps she's confusing claustrophobia with her own misunderstanding and lack of experience of what it's like to be in an average sized space. I have seen the inside of a county jail, and while the cells aren't a room at the, say, Hilton (ha-ha), it's about the size of the average NYC bedroom: small, but copable!

And lastly, King asked Hilton how this whole experience has changed her. She replied by saying she will never be the same again. She truly has seen the error of her ways and will never drink and drive again. To that, King says, "What about drugs? Will you ever use drugs again?" Hilton retorts that she doesn't use, nor has ever tried ANY kind of drug. I know you can't hear me, but to that I am laughing so hard I snorted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home