Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Monday, June 11, 2007

Out of the Darkness

This past weekend I was able to be a part of something so spectacular, and it has truly changed my life. Starting on Saturday at sunset circa 8:00 pm, I was fortunate to be a part of a 2,000+ person walk to help the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention raise awareness for this admirable cause. The Out of the Darkness Overnight walk led us through many areas and neighborhoods of the great city of Manhattan, and to see it at that time of day was truly magnificent. The evening was rounded out as I walked across the finish line at about 5:30 am after a very long and draining evening, but was heartfully greeted by so many people sharing the same experience.

Thanks to the support from many, I was able to do this; for myself, for my friends I have lost, for my friends that struggle through everyday, and for everyone/anyone else that has ever lost a loved one or struggle personally with depression and/or suicide. It is not an easy thing to stand up and take notice, and to support the people that do. As I walked the 20 miles, I had time to talk with many along the way, sharing stories and support with so many great people out there that have suffered so much more than I have. It was a miracle to see so many people put aside their life differences to come together for a single cause and support each other whether they were family, friend or stranger.

Thank you, to those, from the deepest part of my heart! The support you provided, however large or small, made all the difference and there is really no way I can stress that enough!

There are a few people I would like to thank especially:

Joe: thank you for being the very first person to donate and to recognize what this cause means to both of us. I looked for you, but there were just so many people! :)

Mr. Krebs: thank you for donating that balance for me to make my $1,000 minimum. You have always been such a great mentor and friend. Your ability to see the light in others is always an inspiration.

Sarah: Thank you so much for walking the entire 20 miles with me. It was so great to meet you and share that night with you. I really don’t know if I would have been able to last the entire distance without your encouragement and new-found friendship. See you at the Mermaid Parade?!

Louann/Allison: thank you for waking up early on a Sunday for breakfast! I know how much you enjoy sleeping in, but it was much needed!! :)

Monica: your text messages of encouragement and support throughout the entire night were such a help and constant reminder of all the great friends I have…and for breakfast, too!

Mom/Dad/Jess: family really means everything to me in this world. Thank you for your constant love and support…and for caring so much to make that emergency phone call to Louann! J I didn’t mean to worry you. Love you!

Eternally Grateful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home