Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

For the People, By the People

Today, Election Day, is a great day for Americans. The essence of Democracy, and why we as Americans are still so lucky, is upheld in what this day stands for. Today, we all have a civic duty to vote, whether it is for the President, the Senate, Congress, Judicial figures, or even legislation. This day is what our fore-fathers fought so hard to gain in the Revolution, so we don't have to answer to an autocracy.

Our voting process, with the electoral college, is a complex system that many people do not understand. Many feel it is better to have the 'popular vote' decide the winning candidates. I can't say as I completely understand the whole process, but I do understand the necessity for it. It is an extension of the checks and balances. No man-made organization is ever going to run perfectly and completely smooth, but the fact that we do have a government that is set up by our votes is a great accomplishment of the free world, and no matter what your political views and opinions, it has worked for the better part of over two hundred years. It has enabled us to worship how we choose, legally bear arms, and intelligently speak what we believe.

There is much about politics that I do not agree with. Much about it seems petty and saturated with too much testosterone, but I still have faith in the power of my voice. And every year I get to make my voice heard, no matter how softly, at least once. It is a wonderful thing, and I hope that all realize how lucky we still are to be living here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home