Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Monday, February 26, 2007

Topsy Turvy

Every Monday night, since mid-January, I've been attending a class. It is on one of my favorite things ever...WINE!

I've been living in my current location/town for two years now, and just over 6 months ago I discovered the town's secret treasure! Village Vineyard, the local wine shop! It is so incredibly quaint, and the owner is super nice and helpful and knowledgeable! That is truly the key! It's not your typical liquor store...only wine! Superb!

So, back in the beginning of December, I was in the shop buying a few bottles, stocking up for the upcoming holidays, and Rex, the owner, mentioned to me that he was going to be giving a class come January! How wonderful, I thought! I have always enjoyed wine, but never really refined my tastes to what is truly distinct and considered a "good" wine. This was my chance! Plus, what else was I going to do on a Monday evening after work?! And I have been itching to get back to school to take a class...any class really, so this all seemed to make perfect sense!

I mentioned it to my mom, and at first she said "who are you taking it with?" My initial thought was why did I have to take it with anyone? This is something that I want to do for myself! Why do I constantly need to rely on the buddy-system to be social?! So, I signed up, not knowing a person in the crowd except for the teacher/owner, and I couldn't have been more excited!

The class is 10 Mondays, and tonight was Monday #7, which covered wines of Chile, Argentina, and Germany. So far, to date, I've tasted and learned of wines from Italy, France, California, Oregon, Washington state, New York, Spain, Portugal and then tonight's wines. Yup, it's been a lot! We taste on average about 10 wines per class...which brings me to the title of tonight's blog!

Every Monday, I get home at 6:30pm. Class starts at 7pm. So I basically have 20 minutes to change and eat something sort of substantial for dinner before going off to class! Ask me how many times I've been successful in eating something substantial before leaving for class! Go ahead, ask! ZERO! Every Monday, I come home after class half-blitzed! I swear, I'm so giddy, my roommate sits on the couch watching me, and laughing at me every Monday night! I'm amused at my own state of being...and I'm glad I'm not the only one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home