Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Twenty-Somethings

I never watched the show Sex and the City when it was airing on HBO. For one reason, I grew up with only network television. And for another reason I was a little too young at the time to fully grasp the scope of it all. Now, however, I look forward to the reruns on TBS or whatever channel.

The other night's episode was when Samantha and Carrie start seeing only young, 'twenty-somethings' and think it's the best thing ever. Samantha, the sex-crazed woman that she is was only too eager to find a younger beau to fulfill all of her fantasies. Carrie loved the fact that she was getting reacquainted with 'just kissing' and all the wonderfulness that can entail.

Some time ago, one night when I was out drinking with some friends, they were trying to help me figure out my failed relationships...or more like they were just trying to figure it out while I was trying to find the bottom of my glass. Their hypothesis was that I dated older guys. I wasn't quite sure how they came to the idea that this was the reason they were all failed, but I went along with it for a little while, trying to find out what their solution was.

Date younger guys, of course.

The problem with that is I'm still pretty young myself, only reaching my quarter-life this year. The reason I never dated guys my own age (except for Joe) was maybe because of Joe, and I just can't relate to them. The reply I got back was why did I feel I needed to relate to them at all?!

So today, as I sit across from my friend at lunch who is barely 22, I am reminded of the Sex and the City episode and that night with my friends a long while ago. And as I sit there, I try to think if I could ever find myself seeking this situation on a dating level...dating a younger guy.

His catchy repertoire about snorting the wasabi was answer enough in my mind.

And thus the "no-dating" is reaffirmed in my mind yet again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home