Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Monday, April 30, 2007

Work!

Four weeks into my new part time job, and I’m still having the fun I hoped and anticipated to be having. My day to work is Saturday, but this past week I had worked Friday night as well to help with a wine tasting we hosted. I have only been a guest at the tasting’s before so I never really understood how much work and energy was needed for these darned things. I got there at 6:30pm since the tasting started at 7pm and would run until 9pm.

It was great!

There were SO many people (83…I know because I had to hand-wash each and every glass the following morning) it was incredible. So many faces I knew and didn’t know and everyone was all so nice and chatty...true, maybe that was all the wine flowing, but it was all in good fun and frivolity. I basically kept the room circulating, helping to answer any wine aficionado questions I actually knew the answers to (woo-hoo), and rang up 98% of the sales for the evening. It’s been a long while since I have worked that hard and long for the fun of it and have felt satisfied at the end of a day-well-done!

Four hours and $5,000 + in sales later, I found myself at my boss’s house with his wife and best friend enjoying a nice glass of Burgundy. Aaahhhhh!!

It was so much fun with all of the high-energy I was so used to back in the floral industry; I think I have found a new love! My boss and my co-worker were both watching me throughout the evening like I was nuts. They know that I worked in flowers and directly with customers for all those years, but I don’t think they actually believed me when I said I thrive on that kind of work environment. Working those 24-36 hour days around the holidays were always the most fun for me. The stress! The craze! AWESOME! I would much rather be going crazy trying to ring up 5 sales at once than be bored silly all day long.

So on my fourth Saturday working, much of the day involved clean-up from last night, but I didn’t even mind that so much. It’s all part of the job, and I’m OK with that. It comes with the territory. But the exciting part came when my boss imparted some information about the company that nobody else was aware of yet, and then went on to discuss the possibilities for me and my career with the company in the wine industry should I decide that this could be a real future for me.

Hmmm…let me think about that…

Working in the environment with direct customer contact again…check!
Working with a product that I love and want to learn more about…check!
Working for a boss that appreciates me and will let me take on the responsibility I have earned and want…check!

I think this is a no-brainer! Wine World, here I come!

Although there is the worry that I won’t be making a salary with health benefits like I’m used to, and therefore can’t afford to be out on my own like my goal intends. I addressed my concerns with my boss saying that I would love to be a part of the growing company as long as I can afford to. His response was that he would have to make sure that I can afford to!

I don’t think one gets more encouragement from a boss than that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home