Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I'm Sensing a Theme...

Gripe #2 for the week: my beloved Grandmother (Grammy) is a hypocrite!

OK, I know that sounds like I'm coming on a little strong, but I couldn't be more disappointed in Grammy. My whole entire life I have admired her for her compassion, loyalty, sense of fairness and strength in all things necessary. I love her dearly, and is one of the few I really looked up to. I almost want to shake my fists in the air and scream, "what is the world coming to?!"

Preamble: My family's religious background is Roman Catholic, which I have stated before. My grandparents, since the time I can remember, went to Mass every day and said all of the prayers they were supposed to. Their faith was strong and true, believing that everything was meant has God had planned. Even when my grandfather was dying horribly in the hospital, Grammy never missed a service at the hospital chapel. Her faith became even stronger, and while it wasn't something I shared with her, I still greatly admired her for it.

In my family, there's a ridiculous unspoken rule that if something is going on in your life that wavers from the Catholic theology, you don't tell Grammy. When my brother stopped going to Mass, my mother never mentioned it to Grammy. Actually, I was the one that let it slip, not knowing my mom hadn't said anything. When my brother moved in with his Lady, "don't tell Grammy." When my sister bought her house and her Man moved in with her, "don't tell Grammy." I think this is completely asinine, and unnecessary. But, hey, there's nothing like the illusion of a perfect family in the Italian culture.

But it gets better: When the second eldest cousin got married, they decided not to get married in the Church. Grammy refused to come to the wedding, claiming that they aren't really getting married because it's not in the eyes of God. I didn't agree with her, but on some level still respected her for taking her faith as seriously as she feels she needs to. The downside is that Grammy won't talk to his wife at any of the holidays. Oh sure, she'll say Hello and be polite, but won't make any conversation. I feel that is extremely rude and somewhat retarded. Just because a person doesn't share the same beliefs as you, doesn't mean you need to completely ignore them as a human.

Now on to the hypocritical part: About a week ago, my mom gave me the news that one of my cousins is pregnant...out of wedlock. And my first question was, "What's Grammy's reaction?!" Apparently Grammy was the one to tell my mom, saying that while it's a "mistake," they are willing to correct said "mistake" and get married in the Church, thus making everything OK.

Hello?!?! Am I the only one that thinks there's a double standard in there?

I went on to ask my mom about Grammy's point of view, and Mom said that some day when I have kids, I'll understand. (WTF! What is that supposed to mean?!) She went on by saying that she didn't know how to explain it, but this instance of pregnancy is completely different than Andy and Meg getting married out of the Church, because that had been a conscious decision.

Last time I checked, pre-marital sex is a conscious decision, too!

This has really been bothering me for an entire week, and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I believe whole-heartedly in "respect your elders," so it's not like I can call out my Grandmother for a throw-down. I guess I'll just have to settle for slight discomfort at family holidays. RATS!!! AGAIN!!!!

2 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger ctina said...

I encounter this in my own religious family too, and it makes me furious. It's unspoken that premarital sex is OK if you get knocked up and then married, because it means you didn't use contraception (which is a sin) and you didn't get an abortion (which in their eyes in the Ultimate sin), and you get married (which is basically 3rd on the list of Things to Do in Life (after baptism and communion).

Practically all the weddings in my family were shotgun weddings, but moving in with the boyfriend is a Huge No-no.

Crazy...
ps hope you don't mind the comment, i read your blog sometimes

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Flighty Bird said...

'crazy' sums it all up pretty well, I must say. although, I know some of my family had dibs that it was going to happen to me first...hmmm....j/k! (maybe)

don't mind the comment at all! i'm glad you read...hopefully it makes your life seem normal?! ;)

and when are we going to hang out again soon?! total side note, i know, but since there was no rafting last year...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home