Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Friday, April 13, 2007

Right as Rain

I felt like I was a day early on the whole Friday the 13th thing because yesterday was a very odd, disorienting day for me. True, starting my day out yesterday by damning souls to hell probably didn't help much, but that was all in good fun.

The Roommie was taking her own car to the train station in the morning, so that meant I could sleep a whole hour later! Woohoo! I was able to take my time in a nice, long, hot shower. I even put the effort into shaving my legs! AND, it was raining when I stepped outside...even better! "Steve" called me while I waited on my train platform and we chatted and planned for him to come over on Sunday for a visit when he was making his way back home from CT (I love being "on the way"). There was no line at the Hot & Crusty. The 'C' train pulled in right as I stepped onto the platform. And my favorite song came on the nano's shuffle! I even had a "kind-of" date to look forward to after work.

So, why the hell does it sound like I'm wondering "WTF?"

Because everything was going so smoothly and perfectly, I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop. But it never did...not really. And that, in it of itself, was incredibly out of the norm.

The only little hiccough of my day was that my "kind-of" date got cancelled, with the promise of being made up to. It was disappointing, but I didn't dwell on the fact that every time a guy promised to "make it up to me" they never did. Since I was in the mind set of going out after work instead of just going straight home, I was restless and wanted to do something. I sent out a mass-text message to some friends asking if anyone knew of a comfy/lounge-type cafe in NYC where I could drink some tea and just read my book undisturbed. I must say, Moosie really pulled through for me because I texted about 6 different people and she was the only one to get back to me to help a girl out! (Thank you!)

With my new destination in mind, I hopped an uptown train and found myself walking into the best place ever! I was able to sit with a steaming pot of Ginger Tea and a delightful scone, and read my book with complete ease and comfort (McG, I totally need to take you here one day soon, because I know you'd fall just as much in love with the place as I did). And I give major props to the waitress who could very perceptively see that I just wanted to chill and hang out. She didn't continue to bother me by asking if I had everything I needed. She actually left me completely alone, which was perfect and no reflection on her attentiveness, as I could clearly see she was always well aware of all her tables' needs.

Oh, and back-pedal a little bit. Just as I got off my uptown train, I had a text message from a friend of mine asking if I wanted to watch the Ranger's game with him last night. I wrote him back, saying "hell's yeah...meet me at Blondie's for the face-off."

The entire day felt like the pieces of a puzzle just fitting together seamlessly, like it was all meant and as right as the ocean tides. I can't remember the last time I had such ease in my day. Little reassurances like a day such as this are what help me to smile when I wake up in the morning, instead of groaning and ruefully greeting the day. Small blessings and such, I guess!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home