Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Monday, April 16, 2007

WINNAH!!

Last Monday, on an author's blog I read daily, she asked for help in distributing promotional materials to help her promote her new book. This is what she posted as her "contest:"

I'm looking to get seven people to spread these postcards around their city/college campus. Not only will you suckers, I mean, volunteers, get thanked in the acknowledgments of my third book but you'll also receive the satisfaction of aiding someone entirely undeserving of your help who at this very moment is likely lounging around her heated/air-conditioned home watching Pussycat Dolls Presents: Search for the Next Doll and eating healthy snacks instead of taking stacks of these postcards to beauty salons and boutiques and gyms and train stations and sorority houses.

Still not convinced, right?

I so don't blame you.

To sweeten the deal, I'll also send you a signed copy of the new book along with your towering stack of postcards which is cool because you'll get to read [the book] weeks before it goes on sale.
So, on the off-chance you want to do this and I end up with more than seven people, tell me where you'd be distributing these things and also please say something to convince me that you're not really going to let these things rot in your own front hallway.


(And if a whole lot of you want to do this, I am certainly not above accepting bribes for I am shameful.)

Having absolutely loved her first book (which was a memoir of her privileged life gone bad when she got laid off after 9-11) with her rude sarcasm and witty humor, I absolutely had to write her and "volunteer." I wrote something I thought rivaled her wit, and shameless used the fact that I used to work at the publishing house that handles her books.

And it worked like a charm!

Out of over 300 emails, I am one of eleven "winners" to help her cause in promoting the new book...plus, I absolutely can NOT wait to read it weeks before it hits shelves! She wrote me a personal email letting me know I've been chosen, saying how it was cool I used to work for The Bird, how she thought when her publicist let her roam the take-shelf room was the "Best. Day. Ever." and how she looked forward to meeting me at the signing in June when she'll be in NYC on her book tour. I can't help but feel special! :) Boo-Ya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home