Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Stacking the Odds

This is what Roommie defines as having more than one person you are currently crushing on present at a social function. It should never be done because likely you'll have backed yourself into a corner and create an awkward situation. Invite one or the other and live with your choice.

I've often been guilty of stacking the odds because, like most, I crave positive attention and for a while I was socially, dating-retarded. A first for me, though, is being a part of those odds for someone else. And I have to tell you, it kind of sucks.

After our game last night, the team went to a great dive bar with beer/wing specials to celebrate our win (never won by the "mercy rule" before...it was cool!). There were about 8-10 of us, a good crowd, and while it should have been fun, I spent the entire time watching Toast hit on and flirt with a friend of one of our team-mates. It was really odd to watch the familiarity in his actions and stories, the routine of it all so familiar. Not understanding what I was feeling (something between annoyed and jealous), I immediately made the conscious effort to not be a cock-block as a drunk, angry, annoyed, jealous ME tends to be. Not a trait I am proud of, but it is a part of me nonetheless. If Toast has decided I am no longer part of that picture for him, so be it. We still have our friendship and that's cool. But a part of me feels like he was purposefully flaunting it in my face. Lucky, I'm not so narcissistic, and High-Fi felt the same way and was really awkward about the whole thing, too, so it wasn't just me.

So High-Fi and I pretty much spent the entire time just chatting and watching the train-wreck that was Toast. And while we took a lot of what he said with a grain of salt (he was so very wasted), he was saying some things that were offensive.

The funny part of the evening, though, came when he asked the girl what year she was born in. When she said, he gasped and exclaimed, "You're so young, you're such a baby!" At this point, I gave a very pointed look and said, "Jackass, that's the year I was born in, too! What's your point?"

"You don't count!"

And there it was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home