Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Monday, April 30, 2007

Banged and Bruised

I would say this past weekend was one of the most well-rounded weekends I’ve had in a while. I worked (but it was fun), I played (which was definitely fun), and I injured myself (with mortification involved, of course)!

On Sunday I had plans with Wangie, Verne and Roommie to go see the Gazillion Bubble Show; an off-Broadway production of this guy from Vietnam basically blowing bubbles for an hour and a half…it was cool, but definitely sounded way better than it actually was. I wouldn’t have minded if it hadn’t been blatantly obvious that we were the only adults there without children of our own…unless you count Verne, who tends to be child-like but only in the best of ways!

With the show being at 3pm, I figured I would be able to sleep in nice and late after working the mad-house wine shop Friday night into Saturday. But Verne had other ideas.

Back when we bought the tickets, we had no way of knowing the Rangers were actually going to make the play-offs, much less win their first round! Verne, being a die-hard Rangers fan, was absolutely devastated that we were going to be in the Bubble Show while the home game was going on. As a solution to try and cheer him up, I suggested we go to a bar for the 2pm face-off and watch at least the first period.

But why just go to watch the first period when you can participate in one of the best PR ploys out there?!

The Rangers' Rally Bus!

Basically, the NY Ranger’s rent out two NY City Sightseeing tour buses, load them up with Ranger’s fans (or whoever just happens to be outside MSG at the moment), and drives around Midtown for an hour and half two hours before game-time!

F*cking Brilliant!

And SO much fun! Verne had done it during the first round and ended up winning himself tickets to the two, sold-out home games. So, when the Rangers made it to round 2, I knew he would find himself back on that bus. And sure enough, he was able to get me to schlep my ass into the city early so we could get online to ride the Rally Bus!

Everyone else on the bus thought we had tickets to the game because he and I were by-far the loudest screamers on the bus.

I think this would be a good time to mention that I’m an Islander’s fan!

But it didn’t matter, because I’m a Hockey Fan first. AND, the Rangers' promoter on our bus (yum!) doesn’t even work for the Rangers…he works for the PR company. And, as it turns out, is a Capitals Fan…ouch! Season’s certainly over for you, bub!

So, it was a great big time, and a lot of fun. I think I have totally shell-shocked Wangie seeing as she was with us, but stayed seated and quiet for the entire time (impressive).

Afterwards, Roommie met up with the three of us to head to a pub for lunch and the first period of the game. When we left for the show, the score was still 0-0. After the show, Verne figured that we could still probably catch the tail-end of the 3rd period, so off to the ESPN Zone we went. When we got there, it was almost the end of the 3rd period and the score was 1-1. Doh! We waited and watched the two teams go into Over Time, Yay! And then we watched the game go into a 2nd Over Time!

Oh, for crying out loud!

There were at least 3 power-plays between the two teams and still neither team could pull it together.

I will say, though, that watching that game was some of the most beautiful skating on ice that I have seen in a while. It was a clean game for the most part, all players realizing what a power-play could mean.

So up until this point, the day has been fantastic! Fantabulous, actually! Great fun on a bus, great fun in a pub, great fun in a theatre, great fun at ESPN Zone!

After the Rangers score the winning goal, and we do a bunch of high-fives and hugs (I love camaraderie), Verne has the idea to head back to MSG and see if there was anything going on to support the team, all while heckling Buffalo fans along the way!

It wasn’t until we decided to go and catch our train home that I became a complete and utter spaz! I blame the craze of all those fans, and the possibility of spilled beer and food, but I know better…

…as I was walking down the steps into Penn Station, I feel air beneath my next step and down I go…

…and down, and down, and down…

So I guess it’s a good thing my knees, shins and ankles break my fall down about 12 steps!

Slick!

Wangie is off like lighting heading to the D.R. to buy what I can only imagine is their entire first-aid inventory, while Roommie is running to get me some water while yelling back over her shoulder to Verne, “Don’t let her pass-out!!”

The look on Verne’s face at that comment alone was enough to snap me out of the shock I could feel myself slipping into, except now I was laughing so hard, he thought I was in shock anyways. Maybe I was, I don’t know. But I do know that Penn Station is now the proud owner of about 3 layers of my epidermis! Ick!

And of course my first thought?! Am I going to be able to play softball on Wednesday!

Where are my priorities?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home