Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Time Marches On

1 year, 4 months, 28 days.

That is the last time I have felt a man's hands on my body.

That is the length of time it takes to recover from a broken heart, and have it broken again.

That is how long it has taken to feel OK about checking the "single" box when asked 'marital status' on official paperwork.

That is the time it has taken to learn many important lessons about self-worth, and to discover that I have some. A lot, actually.


Yesterday, I sent a farewell letter to the person that has helped me through that 1 year and change. It was both heart breaking and relieving. I know that a lot of my friends often hear me quote lines out of "Eat, Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert, but her lesson learned on soul mates still to this day strikes a cord of reason and understanding in me. And I truly do believe in it, too. And since the core mantra of soul mates is that they are only meant to be in your lives a short while, I had to let mine go to move on to be something important in someone else's life.

Believe me when I say this was not a selfless act. It was one of the most heart wrenching things I have had to do. But as most things that seems terribly difficult at the time of occurrence, I am sure that this, too will pale over time. It just takes time...like maybe 1 year, 4 months and 29 days?! I'll find out and let you know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home