Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Contrasts

As I was sitting on the train heading home during rush hour one day, i was surrounded by many sights and sounds. So many people dealing with the end of their day in different ways. Some reading, some sleeping, some working and many talking and chatting.

To my left there are two women and two toddlers, one of whom is communicating loudly and incoherently; I think she may be autistic. To my right, three young ladies avidly typing away on their black berries, IMing each other, as is evident from the looks and giggles they are sharing at some inside joke. But these ladies are deaf, as you can tell from the occasional signing. Either scenario wouldn't have been odd or strange to me, but seeing these two groups side by side in the same place was just one of those things that make you go "huh!"

Being raised by a woman who teaches speech language development for kids with special needs, I'm pretty sensitive to , and aware of, these children in my surroundings. This scene did not bother me in the least. In fact, I was happy to see these children interacting as normal children would! But sadly, I was curious to see the "normal" people around me getting uncomfortable. Visibly to the point where one person actually got up and moved, leaving on a heavy sigh with a curt glare.

People just plain suck.

1 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are quite right...in the immortal words of one Dan Hobbs...people give people a bad name!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home