Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Monday, September 25, 2006

In a Funk

I'm in a funk, and surprisingly it's not about The Boy, or any boy for that matter. It's about work. Today is entering my 7th week here at the new job, and I'm still feeling so unsettled. My boss is always being pulled in so many directions that I hardly receive any training, and she's out again today. This had got to be the 10th day that she has called in, and while it's great to not have the boss in the office, I'm still pretty clueless as to what I'm supposed to be doing when she's not here. I have little things to do, but nothing that would take up the whole work day.

For me, I like to jump right into things and get started. I'm pretty darn motivated when it comes to work and building my career, so needless to say it's more than a little frustrating to not have anything to do. And it's not like I can even take the initiative and go ahead and do something on my own because I'm still in the stage where I know very little about the product and all the little nuances that go with them, and the just the normal flow of inventory and business operations in general. I really, fully see how spoiled I was at The Bird with my manager there. She was amazing and understood what it meant to 'manage.' She saw my drive and fostered it, like any good manager should. She was often calling me a sponge, just soaking up everything I could to jump in with both feet, head first!

Here's an analogy Rockstar would be proud of: I'm still a sponge because I do soak up everything I possibly can to learn and better myself with my career, but I'm more like the sponge that sit in the bottom of the sink that is only able to soak up the little drops as they drip out of the faucet once in a blue moon! That's how I feel like I'm receiving the knowledge I need to do my job. Little itty-bitty drips and drabs, and I have never been so frustrated in my life.

And on top of that, my boss is constantly telling me things that I just don't need to know about her personal life. There is a thing as WAY too much information!!!! The overall feeling is just very uncomfortable at this point. I am going to stick it out, and give it the recommended 6-month trial run and hope things get better and easier, but I honestly can't tell at this point, one way or another, how things will pan out, and that's a little disconcerting.

Any suggestions on how to handle my boss and the lack-of-training?

1 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger Bridget Rockstar!! said...

My answer won't make you happy...

It isn't your boss that needs to change - it is you and your expectations. Training only exists for people at the bottom of the food chain. The higher up you go the less training you get.

If you are lucky, as you mention, someone may take the time to explain a thing or two. But really if you are hired to be responsible for something you have to figure out the details on your own.

There is hope - it is a challenge to figure out puzzles. As a start write down what the goals are for your job and then what tools you have to do it. If you are missing tools ask where they are. It is better to reinvent a job or change it than to copy what the person before you did.

And if you don't believe me, ask your last boss how much training she got...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home