Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Monday, May 07, 2007

Seeing Smiles

For me, to give a gift is a special thing. It is one of my favorite things to do. To watch a friend or family member unwrap that package and see their eyes light up because what’s underneath is just absolutely perfect. I truly love the feeling of utter joy in the giving!

I have always prided myself on my talent of gift-giving. For knowing that perfect gift of not what a person wants per se, but what they’d appreciate, and sometimes the two end up being the same thing and sometimes not. Being empathetic, I’m pretty in-tune to people and what I know they’d like. Come holidays and birthdays, I’m usually the go-to person in my family for gift ideas, and its great and often lots of fun!

My favorite holiday to give a gift on is Mother’s Day.

Years ago, my mom was the easiest person in the world to shop for. I’m not really sure why, but that was just the way of things. And my dad? Forget about it. There are only so many times socks and neck-ties are appropriate. But nowadays, it seems like it’s reversed. With my dad being so active in all of these company clubs for skiing, golf, etc., he’s easy to shop for and my mom is now the stumper, and it’s truly a challenge to come up with something that not only will she appreciate but will like as well. It just seems like Mom has everything she needs and/or wants. So where to go from there?!

Sentiment!

Something sentimental is always appreciated and liked! And if you’re lucky, it’ll be a tear-jerker, too!

This year, I believe I have truly outdone myself! In January when my family takes a ski-weekend vacation (6 years running), every morning I would meet my mom in the kitchen for a cup of coffee and quiet reading time before the rest of the household would wake up. It’s our time together that we share every year. It has become our sort of tradition, and I don’t mind getting up early on a vacation weekend for it.

This year, when we were chatting about what we were currently reading, I showed her whatever smut-trash-romance-book I had at the time (you all know I’m a sucker for smut!). Knowing full well that my mom has read these kinds of books for years, I wasn’t embarrassed in the least. Actually, it steered us towards a very funny conversation of when we started reading those types of books. It turns out that she was about the same age that I was, and hid the books under her bed from her mother, just like I did. We had a good laugh over it! And then I asked her what the very first trashy romance novel that she ever read was. After some thought, she told me and further went on to say that because of that book, the author had become her favorite. And over the years, she has tried to find a copy of that book to re-read, but the library never had it, nor did any book store she went into. She was resolved to believe it was out of print, and out of circulation.

When we were back to our homes and work that following week, I did an online search about that book. My mom was right in that it was no longer in print or circulation. But, thanks to my favorite site of all time, Amazon.com, I was able to find several book stores that had used copies! In the past, when buying used books online, I haven’t always had the best of luck with these stores’ honesty about the condition of the book, but there really isn’t anything you can do about it. So, I ordered a copy and crossed my fingers that it would be in as good condition as the store boasted.

Two weeks, over-priced mark-up book price, and shipping costs later, the book arrived…and in perfect condition. I was so psyched, you have NO idea. When I say perfect?! I mean perfect! It’s the original hard-back, cover art, second edition printing of this book. And totally well-worth what I paid just to watch her go all melty when she opens it on Sunday. Because not only will it mean something to her about her childhood, but it is now a connection to something she and I share for just the two of us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home