Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Friday, September 29, 2006

Regrets

I have a theory on 'regret.' A person that goes through life regretting decisions made or things done is living life for other people instead of for themselves. If you truly live your life for yourself in the manner in which you choose, then what should you be repentant for?!

When I was young, going through school, I was not by any means popular. I wasn't in the "in" crowd, didn't get invited to parties, and definitely never had a boy to carry my books to class for me. In a way, this was sort of a relief because I never felt like I had to live up to my peers' expectations, because they had none from me...I was just part of the background. So, I learned from an early point to live life in my own way, doing what makes me happy, not them...hence why I can say I have very few, if no regrets in my life.

But it facinates me as to what can change that. I have recently learned that it is very easy to say 'I regret nothing' as long as you believe life will continue in the same manner...but what happens when something broadsides you and throws everything of course? When you're now faced with the true sense of mortality, realizing that living your life in your own way for yourself may longer be good enough? Was it ever really good enough? It's rather jarring to truly start to reflect from that completely different perspective and think 'would I have done it differently?' That safety net of knowing there is still tomorrow to do things right makes it easy for all of us to be content with our day-to-day choices.

What happens when you start working without a net? You really learn a lot about yourself, is what...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home