Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Monday, March 12, 2007

The Weekend Review

Pardon the long absence. I've been sick. I thought it was just a cold at first, until my voice decided to take a vacation as well. But, now I'm back and breathing pretty clearly out of both nostrils, oh happy day!

So, what you've missed:

I went on the date last Tuesday night. We didn't end up having time for dinner, but he bought me a pretzel and a pizza at the game. The game was a lot of fun, with the disappointing miss on the last free throw by the Knicks. But it was fun, with high energy. After the game, we went back to the bar where we first met up. Ice cream didn't happen, which was disappointing, and the entire time he talked. And talked, and talked, and talked. About what?! I couldn't tell you! It was gibberish that I found myself tuning out and watching the hockey game on the TV behind him instead. Maybe a little rude (ok, a lot rude), but I just wasn't feeling it. Never once did he ask me anything about myself and when I tried to offer into the conversation, I was always interrupted and pretty much talked at. I realized it wasn't a conversation at all, but a monologue of his daily woes. He tried to pay me a compliment by saying, "you just seem so happy, you really balance me out," but this was possibly the worst thing he could have said.

Yes, I am happy. And when I agreed with him about that, I realized that I believed it of myself too, which is the most important thing! And the trail of thought that followed was that I've finally found myself in a great place...do I want to surround myself with people that have the potential of bringing me down? And then for the second part of that comment. First off, I don't want to be with someone who isn't whole by themselves and who need to rely on someone else to make them feel "complete." I never did buy into the Jerry MaGuire saying of "You complete me." It seems like such a cop-out to explain away your own short-comings. And secondly, even if I found that to be a compliment, how could he know after spending mere hours with me that I am his 'other half?' At least I'm getting better and not just clinging to the attention. I'm aware of what I don't want and am able to make that conscious decision to do something about it! Yay for progress!

So, feeling turned off, I tried to make the best of all the countless phone calls and text messages I received in the next few days. Luckily, I came down with a really bad case of laryngitis and couldn't talk to anyone. It's sad when I look at being sick as a blessing, but I guess there really is a silver lining to everything. And yes, I really was sick. Having lost my voice and going through a downward spiral as the week progressed, I ended up taking a sick day on Friday and just sleeping and resting up.

The rest of the weekend involved spending good time with the girls on Saturday, and restocking my supplies for my jewelry business on Sunday. I went a little crazy, but the store was having a sale and ideas were just bouncing around in my head. I've got lots of cool stuff to work with now, and my brother tells me that he started designing my very own font for my website! How Cool!!

And now we're back to Monday, where I have Saturday to look forward to. Ahhh, good 'ole St. Paddy's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home