Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Clarity

I could have used a really good thunderstorm Sunday night to help me meditate on my decision regarding my career and job opportunities. As I've said before, nothing calms my tumultulous thoughts like a good storm. Unfortunately, I was left to battle out my own thoughts on my own, leaving me even more confused and unclear. Yesterday, I actually called the recruiter to turn down the offer, and she talked me back off the ledge. She asked what my feelings were regarding my rejection of the offer and I conveyed my hesitations of maybe not knowing all that I thought I originally knew. She appreciated my candidness and honesty, and asked if she could go back to Aspen HR people and convey this and see what they have to say. I was fine with that, seeing at this point nothing more to say.

Then I met with Boss Lady, and while she was explaining the process of "mapping" out my career path at The Bird, I just didn't feel an enthusiasm for it. While I respected her offer to help me achieve my career goals, I just wasn't into it, but at this point figured I know had to play the hand I was dealt. Then the Recruiter called me back and told me that the Manager of the position at Aspen would really like to speak with me one more time to clarify any hesitations or questions I may have had. She offered me her cell phone number and asked that I call her when I get home from work, that way neither of us are distracted from the day. That right off the bat impressed me that I was worth her personal time when there was still a chance that I could turn down the job.

So, when I called her, we talked for almost 30 minutes. As we talked a bit more about the position and responsibilities, and possibilities down the road, I was getting more and more excited about the opportunity. Speaking with her, and hearing her own enthusiasm about me helped me to know that I was coming in this morning and telling Ali-Girl that it was time for me to move on.

Last night, I slept so well for the first time in two weeks. Sure I cried my eyes out, and it won't be the last time, but a rolling stone gathers no moss...And moss is icky! I'm very sad to be leaving The Bird, the friends I have made here along my journey, but I also know that I'll stay in touch with those I need to. For instance, Charlie and I still try and stay in touch as much as we can, and it's great!

So, here's to uncharted waters and new beginnings!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home