Flighty and Free, or at Least Trying to Be!

A Twenty-Something Urbanite, with a little taste of wanderlust, who's just trying to find her way in this semi-charmed kind of life!

Friday, August 18, 2006

Unexpected Pleasantness

I never new until last night how much a cup of coffee could be so good for the soul...well, technically it was a java/vanilla ice cream shake (with whipped cream!), but whose looking at the nitty-gritty?!

My last paycheck from The Bird finally arrived, so I drove out to my bank's branch (20 minutes away) just to drop it in the overnight deposit box so I can finally send my rent check (3 days late) and my car insurance check (will now just make it on time!) *phew*

I have a very dear friend that lives pretty close to my bank. I met her working for The Bird, and we were always very cordial with each other, but only recently, maybe the last 4 months or so, have we been going to lunch, and really talking and becoming close friends. It's sad because it's like making a friend on the last day of school, right before graduation, because with me not working there anymore, it's kind of tough to not have the option of just popping on by and saying, 'hey!' But, so far, so good, and we've been emailing and staying in touch. We made plans to meet for lunch next week at Cowgirl's, and I'm excited for that.

I called her last night, as we had planned, but I had asked her if she wanted to go for a cup of coffee since I was going to be in her area. She was just as excited as I to be hanging out, outside of a work environment, for the first time. I got to see where she, and her long -time boyfriend live, and it was just really nice! We went for coffee (her coffee, me java-shake goodness), and for the first time in a really long time, I was finally able to talk to a friend. I think what makes it so easy is that she's been there, and I mean REALLY been there. It's comforting that there are other's that really DO understand what I'm feeling and going through. And it's not always the act of looking for advice in which I want to be able to talk to someone, but more of the feeling that I'm not out of my mind, and there are others like me out there. For a while, I was really starting to question my mental health (still do every now and then, but who doesn't?!).

So, this morning, I tried a positive thinking exercise that I hadn't done in a while. And basically, it's just realizing and being grateful for the little things in your life. This morning, after having slept better than I had in weeks, I said that I was grateful for McG, for she is truly awesome in her quiet, old-soul kind of way. Another diamond in the rough that I have been lucky to meet and call 'friend.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home